[openstack-dev] [nova] [qa] EC2 status and call for assistance

Alexandre Levine alevine at cloudscaling.com
Thu Apr 24 17:10:54 UTC 2014

Cristopher,

FYI in regard to "

Its the sort of direction that we tried to steer the GCE
API folks in I
cehouse, though I don't know what they ended up doing

"

We ended up perfectly ok. The project is on Stackforge for some time https://github.com/stackforge/gce-api. It works.
I believe that this is exactly what should be done with EC2 as well. We even considered and tried to estimate it once.

I can tell you even more that we do have lots of AWS Tempest tests specifically to check various compatibility issues in OpenStack. And we've created a number of fixes for proprietary implementation of a cloud based on OpenStack. Some of them are in EC2 layer, some are in nova core.

But anyways, I'm completely convinced that:

1. Any further improvements to EC2 layer should be done after its separation from nova.
2. EC2 should still somehow be supported by OpenStack because as far as I know lots of people use euca2ools to access it.

Best regards,
   Alex Levine