[openstack-dev] [Horizon] Accessibility

Douglas Fish drfish at us.ibm.com
Thu Apr 24 15:06:08 UTC 2014

I've proposed a design session for accessibility for the Juno summit, and
I'd like to get a discussion started on the work that needs to be done.
(Thanks Julie P for pushing that!)

I've started to add information to the wiki that Joonwon Lee created:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Horizon/WebAccessibility
I think that's going to be a good place to gather material.  I'd like to
see additional information added about what tools we can use to verify
accessibility.  I'd like to try to summarize the WCAG guidelines into some
broad areas where Horzion needs work.  I expect to add a checklist of
accessibility-related items to consider while reviewing code.

Joonwon (or anyone else with an interest in accessibility):  It would be
great if you could re-inspect the icehouse level code and create bugs for
any issues that remain.  I'll do the same for issues that I am aware of.
In each bug we should include a link to the WCAG guideline that has been
violated.  Also, we should describe the testing technique:  How was this
bug discovered?  How could a developer (or reviewer) determine the issue
has actually been fixed?  We should probably put that in each bug at first,
but as we go they should be gathered up into the wiki page.

There are some broad areas of need that might justify blueprints (I'm
thinking of WAI-ARIA tagging, and making sure external UI widgets that we
pull in are accessible).

Any suggestions on how to best share info, or organize bugs and blueprints
are welcome!

Doug Fish
IBM STG Cloud Solution Development
T/L 553-6879, External Phone 507-253-6879