[openstack-dev] [Heat] Design summit preparation - Next steps for Heat Software Orchestration

Ruslan Kamaldinov rkamaldinov at mirantis.com
Wed Apr 23 18:43:56 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 8:42 PM, Thomas Spatzier
<thomas.spatzier at de.ibm.com> wrote:
> #2 Enable add-hoc actions on software components:
> Apart from basic resource lifecycle hooks, it would be desirable to allow
> for invocation of add-hoc actions on software. Examples would be the ad-hoc
> creation of DB backups, application of patches, or creation of users for an
> application. Such hooks (implemented as scripts, Chef recipes or Puppet
> facts) could be defined in the same way as basic lifecycle hooks. They
> could be triggered by doing property updates on the respective
> SoftwareDeployment resources (just a thought and to be discussed during
> design sessions).
> I think this item could help bridging over to some discussions raised by
> the Murano team recently (my interpretation: being able to trigger actions
> from workflows). It would add a small feature on top of the current
> software orchestration in Heat and keep definitions in one place. And it
> would allow triggering by something or somebody else (e.g. a workflow)
> probably using existing APIs.

Hi Thomas,

This is exactly what we need in Heat for Murano workflows. Also, I believe
that what you described above, perfectly maps on TOSCA, which is also very
good for us :)

>From the implementation point of view and our previous discussions I figure out
that Mistral can be a good fit for lifecycle hooks execution. Renat (Mistral
lead) added a topic [1] for Heat weekly meeting, I hope we can discuss this
today as part of that topic.

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/HeatAgenda

Thanks,
Ruslan