[openstack-dev] [nova] [qa] EC2 status and call for assistance

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed Apr 23 11:47:19 UTC 2014

I've spent a couple of days getting to the bottom of:

Bug 1302774 - Failed to detach volume because of volume not found error
prevents vm teardown

This is an ec2 specific failure path, which mostly looks like a
combination of a not very good test case and the EC2 code in nova
collapsing the volume states in a way that seems completely incorrect
based on what I can read on what's expected from this call.

However, these are symptoms of a bigger issue. The EC2 paths in Nova are
old, fragile, and error prone. The test coverage for these paths is
minimal, and largely hasn't evolved in the last year. The last
substantial addition to the EC2 tests in Tempest was by Burt Holtzman in
July 2013, Burt has also been contributing to the Nova side, but beyond
Burt, there basically aren't contributors right now.

I really don't like shipping code in Nova that we know isn't good. With
very few contributions in this code though, it's defacto, if not
officially, deprecated.

I'd like to see if there are any more people interested in keeping these
interfaces functional (by contributing both on the nova and tempest
sides). If so, great!

If we get to the end of Juno in the current state, I think we need to
consider actually deprecating the EC2 support in Nova. Because I'm
pretty sure what we have today actually only works if you are using boto
on the client side, and doesn't really look like EC2 at any real level
of inspection.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague