[openstack-dev] [Nova][blueprint] Accelerate the booting process of a number of vms via VMThunder

Sheng Bo Hou sbhou at cn.ibm.com
Tue Apr 22 02:59:43 UTC 2014

I actually support the idea Huiba has proposed, and I am thinking of how
to optimize the large data transfer(for example, 100G in a short time) as
well.
I registered two blueprints in nova-specs, one is for an image upload
plug-in to upload the image to glance(
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/84671/), the other is a data transfer
plug-in(https://review.openstack.org/#/c/87207/) for data migration among
nova nodes. I would like to see other transfer protocols, like FTP,
bitTorrent, p2p, etc, implemented for data transfer in OpenStack besides
HTTP.

Data transfer may have many use cases. I summarize them into two catalogs.
Please feel free to comment on it.
1. The machines are located in one network, e.g. one domain, one cluster,
etc. The characteristic is the machines can access each other directly via
the IP addresses(VPN is beyond consideration). In this case, data can be
transferred via iSCSI, NFS, and definitive zero-copy as Zhiyan mentioned.
2. The machines are located in different networks, e.g. two data centers,
two firewalls, etc. The characteristic is the machines can not access each
other directly via the IP addresses(VPN is beyond consideration). The
machines are isolated, so they can not be connected with iSCSI, NFS, etc.
In this case, data have to go via the protocols, like HTTP, FTP, p2p, etc.
I am not sure whether zero-copy can work for this case. Zhiyan, please
help me with this doubt.

I guess for data transfer, including image downloading, image uploading,
live migration, etc, OpenStack needs to taken into account the above two
catalogs for data transfer. It is hard to say that one protocol is better
than another, and one approach prevails another(BitTorrent is very cool,
but if there is only one source and only one target, it would not be that
faster than a direct FTP). The key is the use case(FYI:
http://amigotechnotes.wordpress.com/2013/12/23/file-transmission-with-different-sharing-solution-on-nas/
).

Jay Pipes has suggested we figure out a blueprint for a separate library
dedicated to the data(byte) transfer, which may be put in oslo and used by
any projects in need (Hoping Jay can come in:-)). Huiba, Zhiyan, everyone
else, do you think we come up with a blueprint about the data transfer in
oslo can work?

Best wishes,
Vincent Hou (侯胜博)

Staff Software Engineer, Open Standards and Open Source Team, Emerging
Technology Institute, IBM China Software Development Lab

Tel: 86-10-82450778 Fax: 86-10-82453660
Notes ID: Sheng Bo Hou/China/IBM at IBMCN    E-mail: sbhou at cn.ibm.com
Address:3F Ring, Building 28 Zhongguancun Software Park, 8 Dongbeiwang
West Road, Haidian District, Beijing, P.R.C.100193
地址:北京市海淀区东北旺西路8号中关村软件园28号楼环宇大厦3层 邮编:100193

Zhi Yan Liu <lzy.dev at gmail.com>
2014/04/18 23:33
Please respond to
"OpenStack Development Mailing List \(not for usage questions\)"
<openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>

"OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)"
<openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>,
cc

Subject
Re: [openstack-dev] [Nova][blueprint] Accelerate the booting process of a
number of vms via VMThunder

On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 10:52 PM, lihuiba <magazine.lihuiba at 163.com>
wrote:
>>btw, I see but at the moment we had fixed it by network interface
>>device driver instead of workaround - to limit network traffic slow
>>down.
> Which kind of driver, in host kernel, in guest kernel or in openstack?

In compute host kernel, doesn't related with OpenStack.

>>There are few works done in Glance
>>(https://blueprints.launchpad.net/glance/+spec/glance-cinder-driver ),
>>but some work still need to be taken I'm sure. There are something on
>>drafting, and some dependencies need to be resolved as well.
> I read the blueprints carefully, but still have some doubts.
> Will it store an image as a single volume in cinder? Or store all image

Yes

> files
> in one shared volume (with a file system on the volume, of course)?
> Openstack already has support to convert an image to a volume, and to
boot
> from a volume. Are these features similar to this blueprint?

Not similar but it could be leverage for this case.

I prefer to talk this details in IRC. (And I had read all VMThunder
code at today early (my timezone), there are some questions from me as
well)

zhiyan

> Huiba Li
>
> National Key Laboratory for Parallel and Distributed
> Processing, College of Computer Science, National University of Defense
> Technology, Changsha, Hunan Province, P.R. China
> 410073
>

> At 2014-04-18 12:14:25,"Zhi Yan Liu" <lzy.dev at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Network traffic control could help. The point is to ensure no instance
>>> is starved to death. Traffic control can be done with tc.
>>>

>>btw, I see but at the moment we had fixed it by network interface
>>device driver instead of workaround - to limit network traffic slow
>>down.

>>> backend.
>>> That sounds interesting. Is there some  more materials?
>>>

>>There are few works done in Glance
>>(https://blueprints.launchpad.net/glance/+spec/glance-cinder-driver ),
>>but some work still need to be taken I'm sure. There are something on
>>drafting, and some dependencies need to be resolved as well.

Defense

It
CoW/snapshot

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/image-multiple-location