[openstack-dev] [Neutron] review hour?

marios@redhat.com mandreou at redhat.com
Mon Apr 21 15:54:21 UTC 2014

On 21/04/14 18:29, Kyle Mestery wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 9:38 AM, marios at redhat.com <mandreou at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I think both PTL candidates mentioned process improvements wrt
>> contributions and reviews in their candidacy announcements. As a new
>> Neutron dev I have seen that it is easy for reviews to go unnoticed,
>> especially when they are stand-alone bug fixes that aren't part of a
>> particular blueprint group (and so aren't discussed/highlighted at the
>> various sub-team meetings). Of course this is also compounded by a
>> seemingly heavy backlog of reviews. I realise that all core/non-core
>> devs are doing as much as they can and though more cores will help, it
>> takes a long time to develop people into this role.
>>
>> I was wondering if a 'review hour' would help. This is something Lucas
>> Gomez told me about; the Ironic core team has a weekly hour slot in
>> which they discuss x number of reviews and approve or -1 them. Besides
>> getting reviews cleared quicker, it also opens the process up. It will
>> allow new contributors to (more quickly) learn about the kinds of things
>> core reviewers look for in a patch and also give real-time feedback
>> (e.g. could just use #openstack-neutron for discussion during the hour).
>> I feel that this could have an impact on the review backlog even if this
>> only tackling the oldest 5 reviews for example.
>>
>> Do any of the core devs think this would be a good thing, and do you
>> think you have the time for it?
>>
> This is an interesting idea Marios, thanks for proposing it! Are you
> saying we should have a "Review Hour" on IRC, where we walk through XX
> number of reviews as a team? That's an interesting idea actually, and
> I'd be in favor of something like this. We could rotate timeslots so
> as to get everyone on the team (both core and non-core) a chance to
> participate.
>
> Can you attend our weekly meeting today [1] where we can discuss this as a team?

Thanks very much for responding Kyle, I was worried about my message
sounding 'complainy' - I will try my best to attend the meeting today,
though it is at midnight here (CET +1hrs) so I typically only get to
catch up on the logs.

Depending on whether others think setting up the "irc review hour" is a
good idea, one side effect would be that we then have a second 'neutron
meeting' slot during the week (even if this is only for reviews). If we
pick this time carefully we could even alternate between 'weekly
meeting' and 'review meeting' to make it easier for folks in Europe to
join the weekly meeting (and make it less harsh for people in Asia
Pacific who have to get up very early for the current slot [1]). Though
this is of course just speculation and I'm really getting ahead of
myself (I was going to include this last thought in my original email
but it was already long enough)

thanks, marios

[1] [1]
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?iso=20140421&p1=137&p2=179&p3=136&p4=37&p5=166&p6=248&p7=196&p8=47