[openstack-dev] [qa] branchless tempest and havana

David Kranz dkranz at redhat.com
Mon Apr 21 15:02:36 UTC 2014

Now that the branchless tempest idea is gaining steam, we have to
address this issue along with how we handle releases that are not longer
supported upstream. The current state of running master tempest against
stable havana can be seen in the bottom two jenkins entries at
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/86416/. The number of failures is
manageable and they are due to a variety of issues including:

1. Changes to returned status failure codes
2. dictionary changes that are being checked by schemas now but were not
in havana
3 havana failures that still need to bee investigated

I would really like to see master running against havana in the gate
which would provide value to the refstack effort as well as almost any
one who is not doing CD.
I proposed a "grandfathering" of havana by putting a skip decorator for
that in master so we could get this in the gate and then figure out how
much effort to put in getting more tests to run. This would also be a
mechanism to allow upcoming work to not get tripped up on havana issues
if we decide that is not worth it. Sean and Matt have objected to this
idea. I really don't care that much exactly how we allow master to run
against havana as long as the mechanism is in-tree. How do other folks
feel about this, and are there other implementation suggestions?

Another related issue is what happens when a stable release becomes
"unsupported" given that many OpenStack users will continue to run
"unsupported" releases. For example, there may be a desire to remove xml
support in nova. When that happens, any one who still cares about
running tempest against an older release will have to fork tempest. That
is ok but there could be sharing opportunities. IIRC, this was the
original motivation behind stable branches in the first place which was
a little controversial at the time.

  -David