[openstack-dev] [all] Branchless Tempest QA Spec - final draft

Daisuke Morita morita.daisuke at lab.ntt.co.jp
Mon Apr 21 02:57:54 UTC 2014

(2014/04/17 4:22), Jaume Devesa wrote:
> I thought that OpenStack just support one release backwards, if we have
> to support three versions, this is not useful.

In fact, I could not make sense this meaning. OpenStack has two
"security-supported" series and one project under development.
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Releases

Therefore, I think Sean's proposal is reasonable. Tempest should be able
to test two supported releases for administrators and one release for
developers.

> [...]
> each deployment needs. Just wanted to avoid more configuration options.
>

> On 16 April 2014 21:14, David Kranz <dkranz at redhat.com
> <mailto:dkranz at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 04/16/2014 11:48 AM, Jaume Devesa wrote:
>>     Hi Sean,
>>
>>     for what I understood, we will need a new feature flag for each
>>     new feature, and a feature flag (default to false) for each
>>     deprecated one. My concern is: since the goal is make tempest a
>>     confident tool to test any installation and not and 'tempest.conf'
>>     will not be auto-generated from any tool as devstack does,
>>     wouldn't be too hard to prepare a tempest.conf file with so many
>>     feature flags to enable and disable?
>     If we go down this route, and I think we should, we probably need to
>     accept that it will be hard for users to manually configure
>     tempest.conf. Tempest configuration would have to be done by
>     whatever installation technology was used, as devstack does, or by
>     auto-discovery. That implies that the presence of new features
>     should be discoverable through the api which is a good idea anyway.
>     Of course some one could configure it manually but IMO that is not
>     desirable even with where we are now.
>

>>     Maybe I am simplifying too much, but wouldn't be enough with a
>>     pair of functions decorators like
>>
>>     @new
>>     @deprecated
>>
>>     Then, in tempest.conf it could be a flag to say which OpenStack
>>     installation are you testing:
>>
>>     installation = [icehouse|juno]
>>
>>     if you choose Juno, tests with @new decorator will be executed and
>>     tests with @deprecated will be skipped.
>>     If you choose Icehouse, tests with @new decorator will be skipped,
>>     and tests with @deprecated will be executed
>>
>>     I am missing some obvious case that make this approach a nonsense?
>     There are two problems with this. First, some folks are chasing
>     master for their deployments and some do not deploy all the features
>     that are set up by devstack. In both cases, it is not possible to
>     identify what can be tested with a simple name that corresponds to a
>     stable release. Second, what happens when we move on to K? The
>     meaning of "new" would have to change while retaining its old
>     meaning as well which won't work. I think Sean spelled out the
>     important scenarios.
>
>       -David
>

>>     Regards,
>>     jaume
>>

>>     On 14 April 2014 15:21, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net
>>     <mailto:sean at dague.net>> wrote:
>>
>>         As we're coming up on the stable/icehouse release the QA team
>>         is looking
>>         pretty positive at no longer branching Tempest. The QA Spec
>>         draft for
>>         this is here -
>>         http://docs-draft.openstack.org/77/86577/2/check/gate-qa-specs-docs/3f84796/doc/build/html/specs/branchless-tempest.html
>>         and hopefully address a lot of the questions we've seen so far.
>>
>>         Additional comments are welcome on the review -

Daisuke Morita <morita.daisuke at lab.ntt.co.jp>
NTT Software Innovation Center, NTT Corporation