[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Trying to make sense of allow_overlapping_ips in neutron

Mark McClain mmcclain at yahoo-inc.com
Fri Apr 18 21:52:59 UTC 2014

On Apr 18, 2014, at 17:03, "Ryan Moats" <rmoats at us.ibm.com<mailto:rmoats at us.ibm.com>> wrote:

Apologies if this is posted to the wrong place, but after talking with Kyle Mestery (mestery at cisco.com<mailto:mestery at cisco.com>), he suggested that I bring my question here...

I'm trying to make sense of the allow_overlapping_ips configuration parameter in neutron.

When this entry is true, then a tenant can have subnets with overlapping IPs in different networks (i.e. the scope of the subnet validation search is the other subnets associated with the network) which makes sense.

But, when this entry is false, then the validation search appears to cover all subnets across all tenants.  I'm trying to understand the logic of this, because I would have expected that in this case, the search scope would be all subnets across a single tenant.

As it is now, it looks like if an install has this configuration parameter set to false, then there is no way for that install to reuse the net 10 address space.

Can somebody lend me a hand and either (a) tell me I'm reading the code wrong or (b) explain why that choice was made?

You are reading the code correctly. This feature is largely a legacy option for older distros that do not support namespaces or when the deployer chooses to run in a flat mode without tenant isolation.

mark