[openstack-dev] [Devstack] add support for ceph

Scott Devoid devoid at anl.gov
Fri Apr 18 18:06:19 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 11:41 AM, Dean Troyer <dtroyer at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 10:51 AM, Scott Devoid <devoid at anl.gov> wrote:
>
>> The issue is that it is very easy to suggest new features and refactoring
>> when you are very familiar with the codebase. To a newcomer, though, you
>> are basically asking me to do something that is impossible, so the logical
>> interpretation is you're telling me to "go away".
>>

> This patch was dropped on us twice without any conversation or warning or
> discussion about how might be the best approach. Suggestions _were_ made
> and subsequently ignored.  If there was a lack of understanding, asking
> questions is a good way to get past that.  None were asked.  I do not view
> that as saying 'go away'.

I was speaking more from personal experience with other patches, where the
response is "oh this is great, but we really need XYZ to happen first."
Nobody is working on XYZ and I sure don't know how to make it happen. But
yea, my patch is -2 blocked on that. :-/

DevStack is an _opinionated_ OpenStack installer.  It can not and will not
> be all things to all people.  The first priority is to address services
> required by OpenStack projects (database, queue, web server, etc) and even
> then we only use what is provided in the underlying distributions.  (BTW,
> does zmq even still work?  I don't think it is tested.)
>
> Layered products that require 3rd party repos have a higher bar to get
> over to be included in the DevStack repo.  If an OpenStack project changes
> to require such a product, and that change gets through the TC (see MongoDB
> discussions for an example), then we'll have to re-evaluate that position.
>
> All this said, I really do want to see Ceph support for Cinder, Glance,
> Swift, etc in DevStack as I think it is cool and useful.  But it is not
> required to be in the DevStack repo to be useful.

I guess the question then is how we can gate with functional tests for
drivers without touching devstack?

~ Scott