[openstack-dev] [Neutron][L3] Agent manager customization

zz elle zzelle at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 15:11:56 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

I would like to propose a change to simplify/allow l3 agent manager
customization and i would like the community feedback.

Just to precise my context, I deploy OpenStack for small specific business
use cases and i often customize it because of specific use case needs.
In particular must of the time i must customize L3 agent behavior in order
to:
- add custom iptables rules in the router (on router/port post-deployment),
- remove custom iptables rules in the router (on port pre-undeployment),
- update router config through sysctl (on router post-deployment),
- start an application in the router (on router/port post-deployment),
- stop an application in the router (on router/port pre-undeployment),
- etc ...
Currently (Havana,Icehouse), i create my own L3 agent manager which extends
neutron one.
And I replace neutron-l3-agent binary, indeed it's not possible to
change/hook l3 agent manager implementation by configuration.

What would be the correct way to allow l3 agent manager customization ?
 - Allow to specify l3 agent manager implementation through configuration
  ==> like the option router_scheduler_driver which allows to change router
scheduler implementation
 - Allow to hook l3 agent manager implementation
  ==> like the generic hook system in nova (nova.hooks used in
nova.compute.api)
  ==> or like the neutron ML2 mechanism hook system
(neutron.plugins.ml2.driver_api:MechanismDriver)
 - Other idea ?

It seems the same question could be asked for the dhcp agent ?

Thanks,

Cedric (zzelle at irc)