[openstack-dev] [Devstack] add support for ceph

Scott Devoid devoid at anl.gov
Fri Apr 18 04:03:02 UTC 2014

So I have had a chance to look over the whole review history again. I agree
with Sean Dague and Dean Troyer's concerns that the current patch affects
code outside of lib/storage and extras.d. We should make the Devstack
extension system more flexible to allow for more extensions. Although I am
not sure if this responsibility falls completely in the lap of those
wishing to integrate Ceph.

What is more concerning though is the argument that *even when the Ceph
patch meets these standards* *it will still have to be pulled in from some
external source. *Devstack is a central part of OpenStack's test and
development system. Core projects depend upon it to develop and test
drivers. As an operator, I use it to understand how changes might affect my
production system. Documentation. Bug Triage. Outreach. Each of these tasks
and efforts benefit from having a curated and maintained set extras in the
mainline codebase. Particularly extras that are already represented by
mainline drivers in other projects.

I am hopeful that def core() will help in creating a logical framework for
these considerations.

~ Scott