[openstack-dev] oslo removal of use_tpool conf option

Chris Behrens cbehrens at codestud.com
Thu Apr 17 22:20:36 UTC 2014

I’m going to try to not lose my cool here, but I’m extremely upset by this.

In December, oslo apparently removed the code for ‘use_tpool’ which allows you to run DB calls in Threads because it was ‘eventlet specific’. I noticed this when a review was posted to nova to add the option within nova itself:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/59760/

I objected to this and asked (more demanded) for this to be added back into oslo. It was not. What I did not realize when I was reviewing this nova patch, was that nova had already synced oslo’s change. And now we’ve released Icehouse with a conf option missing that existed in Havana. Whatever projects were using oslo’s DB API code has had this option disappear (unless an alternative was merged). Maybe it’s only nova.. I don’t know.

Some sort of process broke down here.  nova uses oslo.  And oslo removed something nova uses without deprecating or merging an alternative into nova first. How I believe this should have worked:

1) All projects using oslo’s DB API code should have merged an alternative first.
2) Remove code from oslo.
3) Then sync oslo.

What do we do now? I guess we’ll have to back port the removed code into nova. I don’t know about other projects.

NOTE: Very few people are probably using this, because it doesn’t work without a patched eventlet. However, Rackspace happens to be one that does. And anyone waiting on a new eventlet to be released such that they could use this with Icehouse is currently out of luck.

- Chris