[openstack-dev] [Neutron][LBaaS] Requirements and API revision progress

Eugene Nikanorov enikanorov at mirantis.com
Thu Apr 17 13:45:03 UTC 2014

Brandon,

Towards the bottom of that document it does mention content switching and
> how it would work with this.  I know its a huge text document and hard to
> navigate but it is there.

Yeah, i should have been more specific. My concern is that 'single-call
API' is not powerfull enough right now to account for every case.
Which means that complex cases should still go through a regular process.
I think that creates inconsitent workflow where some objects should be
created with one approach while others with another.

> The point of the one pool on a load balancer is because other than content
> switching there aren't any other use cases for multiple pools.  There's a
> question/answer about that.  As we say in that document, it is not perfect
> but it is viable.  If that is something most people do not like then
> another solution can be discussed.
>
>  As for referencing objects within the same request body, it probably
> wasn't explained well but if you need to reference a pool that is being
> created within that POST body then referencing by the name attribute should
> be fine.  That name should only be unique within that request body and
> references to that name should only be contained within the scope of the
> request body.  After that, names don't have to be unique.
>
>  Even if that wasn't a viable solution, I don't think a single call API
> should be quickly dismissed because of this.

Generally speaking, single-call API is not the way Neutron API is designed.
Personally I'm not dismissing this option, but there are two constraints
that I would apply to this approach:
1) single-call API should reflect all capabilities of API
2) single-call API should be developed side-by side with per-object API
(after initiall implementation reflects per-object API)
Even this approach of having two API styles could be questioned by some
folks, but at least each of the approaches should be consistent, e.g.
should cover every possible use case that is available with other
counterpart.

>  Again, I understand its a huge document and some things are probably not
> detailed well.  If they are not just ask me to give more details.

The thing is that I've actually was through the single-call API discussion
with some folks and I know the pits of it for our roadmap.
The general issue with a single-call API is that you end up creating
Heat-like template language to address the use cases that we're planning,
and yet you'll have to have per-object operations...

Thanks,
Eugene.