[openstack-dev] [heat] [heat-templates] [qa] [tempest] Questions about images

Thomas Spatzier thomas.spatzier at de.ibm.com
Wed Apr 16 21:11:46 UTC 2014

> From: Mike Spreitzer <mspreitz at us.ibm.com>
> Date: 16/04/2014 19:58
> Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [heat] [heat-templates] [qa] [tempest]
> Questions about images
>
> Steven Hardy <shardy at redhat.com> wrote answers to most of my questions.
>
> To clarify, my concern about URLs and image names is not so much for
> the sake of a person browsing/writing but rather because I want
> programs, scripts, templates, and config files (e.g., localrc for
> DevStack) to all play nice together (e.g., not require a user to
> rename any images or hack any templates).  I think Steve was
> thinking along the same lines when he reiterated the URL he uses in
> localrc and wrote:
>
> > We should use the default name that devstack uses in glance, IMO, e.g
> >
> > "fedora-20.x86_64"

FWIW, instead of specifying allowed image names in a template it might be a
better approach to allow for specifying constraints against the image (e.g.
distro is fedora, or distro is ubuntu, version between 12.04 and 13.04 etc)
and then use metadata in glance to select the right image. Of course this
would require some discipline to maintain metadata and we would have to
agree on mandatory attributes and values in it (I am sure there is at least
one standard with proposed options), but it would make templates more
portable ... or at least the author could specify more clearly under which
environments he/she thinks the template will work.

There is a blueprint which goes in this direction:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/heat/+spec/constraint-based-flavors-and-images

Regards,
Thomas