[openstack-dev] [infra][nova][docker]

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed Apr 16 19:30:56 UTC 2014

On 04/16/2014 03:06 PM, Eric Windisch wrote:

>     > As I really would like to keep a 1:1 matching with my current Devstack
>     > installation, have you tried to trick Dockenstack by modifying the
>     > localrc file to say Qemu as the driver ?
>

> Not yet, but I'd like to. It has been a secondary goal at this point. I
> have successfully tested with the Libvirt-LXC driver, however.
>

>     > Of course, it will need to run the container in a privileged mode (and
>     > btw. building a Dockerfile with privileged mode is not yet
>     possible) but
>     > it sounds possible.
>

> It isn't necessary to build with a privileged mode, it only needs to run
> that way. Dockenstack already requires this for docker-in-docker anyway,
> so it's not an issue to require this for Qemu.
>

>     I was doing some experimentation this weekend on that, however with
>     straight up devstack in docker the fact that docker actively manages
>     /etc/hosts (it's not a real file, it's part of AUFS), complicates some
>     things. I also couldn't seemingly get rabbitmq to work in this env.
>     Honestly I expect that largely to be about hostname sensitivities, which
>     is why we muck with /etc/hosts so much.
>

> I had no problems, but I haven't tested Dockenstack with the Docker 0.9
> or 0.10 releases, I last used it on 0.8.1.  I'll be updating the
> Dockerfile and testing it throughly with the latest Docker release once
> we merge the devstack patches.

I had a 100% fail starting from the docker Ubuntu 12.04 starting image,
and it was all about Rabbit vs. /etc/hosts from what I could tell. So
maybe I'll ping you on IRC at some point and we can try to interactively
debug. It would definitely speed things up for folks working on laptops,
so would be nice.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague