[openstack-dev] [heat] computed package names?

Steven Dake sdake at redhat.com
Tue Apr 15 23:41:44 UTC 2014

On 04/15/2014 03:45 PM, Zane Bitter wrote:
> On 15/04/14 17:59, Mike Spreitzer wrote:
>> Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote on 04/15/2014 05:17:21 PM:
>>  > Excerpts from Zane Bitter's message of 2014-04-15 13:32:30 -0700:
>>  >
>>  > > FWIW, in the short term I'm not aware of any issue with installing
>>  > > mariadb in Fedora 17/18, provided that mysql is not installed
>> first. And
>>  > > in fact they're both EOL anyway, so we should probably migrate
>> all the
>>  > > templates to Fedora 20 and mariadb.
>>  >

The last time I tried F17 images, the database installation step failed
miserably because of problems in the base distribution.

>>  > +1 for that.
>>
>> I count 22 templates in heat-templates that are written to support
>> Fedora, Ubuntu, and RHEL; is MariaDB available in those?  I do not see
>> it in Ubuntu 12.10, for example.
>
> I imagine it's a problem for RHEL (can RHEL 7 just get released
> already?). Ubuntu is not an issue though, unless they have adopted yum
> while I was not looking.
>
> Checking a random sample, they only includes "yum" and "systemd"
> sections (no "apt" or "sysvinit") in the metadata, so the purported
> support for Ubuntu 10.04 is just due to copy-paste and isn't actually
> implemented.
>
> There is, I thought, one template that does actually support Ubuntu.
> Stuff in the "F17" directory is there for a reason.

The only rational reason for having the F17 directory is because nobody
has done the work of porting these templates to F20.  That work needs to
be done before we can remove the F17 directory permanently :)

Regards,
-steve