[openstack-dev] Vagrant Devstack projects - time to consolidate?

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 20:30:53 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 11:24 AM, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:

> On 04/11/2014 11:38 AM, Greg Lucas wrote:
> > Sean Dague wrote:
> >> Maybe it would be good to get an ad-hoc IRC meeting together to figure
> >> out what the must have features are that inspired everyone to write
> >> these. If we can come up with a way to overlap those all sanely, moving
> >> to stackforge and doing this via gerrit would be something I'd be into.
> >
> > This is a good idea, I've definitely stumbled across lots of GitHub
> > projects, blog posts, etc that overlap here.
> >
> > Folks seem to have a strong preference for provisioner so it may makes
> > sense to support several. We can put together a Vagrantfile that allows
> > you to choose a provisioner while maintaining a common machine
> > configuration (using --provision-with or using env variables and loading
> > in additional rb files, etc).
>
> Honestly, multi provisioner support is something I think shouldn't be
> done. That's realistically where I become uninterested in spending
> effort here. Puppet is needed if we want to be able to replicate
> devstack-gate locally (which is one of the reasons I started writing this).
>
> Being opinionated is good when it comes to providing tools to make
> things easy to onboard people. The provisioner in infra is puppet.
> Learning puppet lets you contribute to the rest of the openstack infra,
> and I expect to consume some piece of that in this process. I get that
> leaves other efforts out in the cold, but the tradeoff in the other
> direction I don't think is worth it.
>
> The place I think plugability makes sense is in virt backends. I'd
> honestly love to be able to do nested kvm for performance reasons, or an
> openstack cloud for dogfooding reasons.

I originally cobbled together  https://github.com/jogo/DevstackUp  to run
devstack locally as there were no good alternatives at the time.  I would
be really happy to see a vagrant devstack runner that looks more like how
infra does it.

One of my biggest issues with running devstack in vagrant is how slow it is
to set everything up, there are a lot of packages to install. Hopefully
with one consolidated devstack vagrant we can address this.

On a related note, I have stopped using vagrant and just use nova on a
public cloud.