[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-Infra] [3rd party testing] Atlanta meetup for 3rd party testing?

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Tue Apr 15 14:41:17 UTC 2014

On 04/15/2014 10:20 AM, Kurt Taylor wrote:

> Sorry if you get this twice.
>
> Since summit is approaching quickly, I wanted to see if anyone had interest
> in forming a meetup for 3rd party testing. This would be a group for
> helping the project cores by helping ourselves and hopefully improving
> overall CI rollout.
>
> Some topics to discuss:  I'd at least like to get a standard tag that would
> help with email filtering, but we could also build a FAQ and documentation
> contributions to improve the content of the 3rd party testing. We could
> also document different use cases and best practices for each on how
> different testers solved problems they encountered for their environment. I
> don't know how long we would be able to meet, so this may just be an
> organizational meeting, focusing on how to best share this info.
>
> I started an etherpad for discussion topics and eventual agenda here:
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/3rdPartyTesting
>
> I have not worked out all the details for when and where to meet, but I
> would be happy to set it up and facilitate the discussion. I wanted to see
> if there was any interest before I took it any further.
>
> Any interest?
>
> Kurt Taylor (krtaylor)
> OpenStack Development Lead - PowerKVM CI
> IBM Linux Technology Center

There is a summit design session proposed to address this:
http://summit.openstack.org/cfp/details/59

Entitled: Improving Third Party Testing

If you would like to add the information you would like to cover as a
comment to the proposal that would help ensure the content gets covered.

Since the purpose of the design summit is to cover material like this, I
encourage people to get familiar with the summit sessions that are
already proposed: http://summit.openstack.org/ and to propose sessions
that you would like covered if you don't see a current proposal for your
topic of interest.

Since most of what I saw in the Neutron design summit sessions last year
is counter to how most other programs use their design summit sessions,
I encourage you to consider using the design summit session format.
Neutron design summit sessions end up being more like conference
presentations and that is not what the design summit was meant to be at all.

Design summit sessions are meant to be group discussion chaired by
either the proposer of the session or someone else but equally discussed
by all participants. They are not meant to be a presentation with a
passive audience.

Using the design summit sessions as they are intended to be used would
be more advantageous for the community then trying to schedule a meetup
that might be a splintering off of the design summit sessions. If this
direction is unsatisfactory for your needs after it is tried, please be
sure to attend the summit wrapup design session and express your
perspective so it can be included in future summit planning.

Thanks,
Anita.