[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Default paths in os-*-config projects

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Tue Apr 15 01:30:59 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Ben Nemec's message of 2014-04-14 15:41:23 -0700:
> Right now the os-*-config projects default to looking for their files in
> /opt/stack, with an override env var provided for other locations.  For
> packaging purposes it would be nice if they defaulted to a more
> FHS-compliant location like /var/lib.  For devtest we could either
> override the env var or simply install the appropriate files to /var/lib.
>
> This was discussed briefly in IRC and everyone seemed to be onboard with
> the change, but Robert wanted to run it by the list before we make any
> changes.  If anyone objects to changing the default, please reply here.
>   I'll take silence as agreement with the move. :-)

+1 from me for doing FHS compliance. :)

/var/lib is not actually FHS compliant as it is for "Variable state
information". os-collect-config does have such things, and does use
/var/lib. But os-refresh-config reads executables and os-apply-config
reads templates, neither of which will ever be "variable state
information".

/usr/share would be the right place, as it is "Architecture independent
data". I suppose if somebody wants to compile a C program as an o-r-c
script we could rethink that, but I'd just suggest they drop it in a bin
dir and exec it from a one line shell script in the /usr/share.

So anyway, I suggest:

/usr/share/os-apply-config/templates
/usr/share/os-refresh-config/scripts

With the usual hierarchy underneath.

We'll need to continue to support the non-FHS paths for at least a few
releases as well.