[openstack-dev] [heat] Custom Resource

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Mon Apr 14 19:39:34 UTC 2014

On 14/04/14 13:40, Steven Hardy wrote:
> It's not clear to me why you'd even expect that $third_party_system knows
> how to receive SNS notifications, so you might instead want to fire up a VM
> with some client on it which knows how to talk to the service directly and
> act as a proxy, with lifecycle events causing proxied actions to happen in
> response to either some hooks, or template definitions like the actions
> list to the SoftwareDeployment resources.

IIUC the idea is that the service (which could be from a third party or
something you set up yourself) creates the SNS topic and then
CloudFormation posts to it. The service is going to need to know how to
handle the data it receives anyway, so it's not like you could get away
with it not knowing it's being used with CloudFormation but for having
to read from an SNS queue. (And, of course, if you _do_ need to work
with a service that doesn't know it's being used from CloudFormation,
you can build your own proxy.)

- ZB