[openstack-dev] [tripleo] /bin/bash vs. /bin/sh

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Mon Apr 14 17:17:03 UTC 2014

On 04/14/2014 11:53 AM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> As someone who maintains a shell-script project across several
> "sh-like" shells, I can say the edge cases cause enough work and
> testing hassles that you shouldn't undertake it lightly. Is there any
> particular need to run these tools under a non-bash shell?

I don't have one, but I've seen a few changes proposed to make the
scripts work with other shells (although in at least one case I believe
it was in a script explicitly using bash, so I'm not sure what the
purpose was...).  And those edge cases are why I would like to stop
trying to support not-bash unless someone else wants to step up and own
that effort.

Thanks for the input.

-Ben