[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Migrations, service plugins and Grenade jobs

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Mon Apr 14 16:50:50 UTC 2014

On 14 April 2014 17:27, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:

> On 04/14/2014 12:09 PM, Kyle Mestery wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 10:54 AM, Salvatore Orlando <sorlando at nicira.com>
> wrote:
> <snip>

> and vote
> >>>

> > Thanks for sending out this summary email Salvatore. I agree with your
> > summary and I think that option #1 is the way forward to fix this. The
> > recovery scripts are a necessity here. I'd like to hear from some
> > deployers who may be lurking on their thoughts on this approach as
> > well.
>
> I think it's probably worth while to figure out how many branches
> currently exist in the migrations path today? Basically how many
> multiverses of neutron schemas might exist at the latest alembic id.
> That will help inform how bad things might be.

To get this number, in theory, you should take in account every migration
which could have been potentially skipped.
Any of these migration is a potential "bisection" point of space-time
continuum... and then you'll likely end up with a few tens of thousands of
possible configurations.
However, this will make things look just a lot worse then what they
actually are.

> Grenade happened to trip over one of these, but that's just because of
> which defaults we have. I expect that many more could be tripped over
> and really burn people trying to make changes in their environment.

The areas where a fix is needed first are those related to "service
plugins".
So far load balancing, firewall, vpn, metering, and even l3 are treated as
such. I will focus on rectifying migrations in these areas.
Since migrations are executed conditionally, one thing to deal is that we
don't know whether a given migration was executed or not, which makes
things interesting, although not hard.