[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Migrations, service plugins and Grenade jobs

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Mon Apr 14 16:27:45 UTC 2014

On 04/14/2014 12:09 PM, Kyle Mestery wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 10:54 AM, Salvatore Orlando <sorlando at nicira.com> wrote:
<snip>
>>> The system could be made smarter by storing also a list of "known"
>>> migrations, including whether they were executed or skipped.
>>>
>>> Summarising, in my opinion the approach #2 is not even worth being
>>> considered. Between approach #1 and #3, I'd prefer the simplest one and vote
>>> for approach #1.
>>>

> Thanks for sending out this summary email Salvatore. I agree with your
> summary and I think that option #1 is the way forward to fix this. The
> recovery scripts are a necessity here. I'd like to hear from some
> deployers who may be lurking on their thoughts on this approach as
> well.

I think it's probably worth while to figure out how many branches
currently exist in the migrations path today? Basically how many
multiverses of neutron schemas might exist at the latest alembic id.
That will help inform how bad things might be.

Grenade happened to trip over one of these, but that's just because of
which defaults we have. I expect that many more could be tripped over
and really burn people trying to make changes in their environment.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
Samsung Research America