[openstack-dev] [heat] Custom Resource

Rabi Mishra ramishra at redhat.com
Mon Apr 14 10:44:44 UTC 2014

Hi All,

Recently, I've come across some requirements for external integrations/resources that can be managed like stack resources (create,update,delete) from the stack.

1. Adding/Removing DNS records for instances created as part of a stack.
2. Integration with IPAM solutions for allocate/release of IPs (IP allocation pool for provider network)
3. Other custom integration for dynamic parameters to stacks.

IMHO, it would probably make sense to create a custom resource like 'AWS CFN Custom Resource'[1] that can be used for these kind of use cases. I have created a blueprint[2] for this.

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Regards,
Rabi Mishra

[1]http://blogs.aws.amazon.com/application-management/post/Tx2FNAPE4YGYSRV/Customers-CloudFormation-and-Custom-Resources
[2]https://blueprints.launchpad.net/heat/+spec/implement-custom-resource