[openstack-dev] [Nova] Thoughts from the PTL

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Mon Apr 14 09:06:59 UTC 2014

On 04/14/2014 06:58 AM, Michael Still wrote:
> First off, thanks for electing me as the Nova PTL for Juno.

Congratulations Michael.

> * I promised to look at mentoring newcomers. The first step there is
> working out how to identify what newcomers to mentor, and who mentors
> them.

I'm very interested in the mentoring topic, too. As many may know, the
Foundation will host an Upstream Training session in Atlanta. This is
first attempt at formalizing the process to become a *good* contributor
to OpenStack. Mentorship is a crucial part of that training, which is
made of in-person classes and online mentorship (before and after the
in-person training).

OpenStack project has also two other programs where mentorship is
crucial: Outreach Program for Women (it's been running for almost 2
years now) and we added also Google Summer of Code. Mentoring is now
becoming "a thing we do" among the other things we do.

I think the easy "targets" to mentor are Upstream students, OPW and GSoC
candidates.  I'd be happy to have a session at the summit about this.

/stef