[openstack-dev] [infra][nova][docker]

Eric Windisch eric at windisch.us
Fri Apr 11 20:29:24 UTC 2014

> What I hope to do is setup a check doing CI on devstack-f20 nodes[3],
> this will setup a devstack based nova with the nova-docker driver and
> can then run what ever tests make sense (currently only a minimal test,
> Eric I believe you were looking at tempest support maybe it could be
> hooked in here?).

I'm not sure how far you've gotten, but my approach had been not to use
devstack-gate, but to build upon dockenstack (
https://github.com/ewindisch/dockenstack) to hasten the tests.

Advantages to this over devstack-gate are that:
1) It is usable for developers as an alternative to devstack-vagrant so it
may be the same environment for developing as for CI.
2) All network-dependent resources are downloaded into the image -
completely eliminating the need for mirrors/caching infrastructure.
3) Most of the packages are installed and pre-configured inside the image
prior to running the tests such that there is little time spent
initializing the testing environment.

Disadvantages are:
1) It's currently tied to Ubuntu. It could be ported to Fedora, but hasn't
been.
2) Removal of apt/rpm or even pypi dependencies may allow for
false-positive testing results (if a dependency is removed from a
requirements.txt or devstack's packages lists, it will still be installed
within the testing image); This is something that could be easily fixed if
should it be essential.

If you're interested, I'd be willing to entertain adding Fedora support to
Dockenstack.