[openstack-dev] [nova] Dynamic scheduling

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Fri Apr 11 17:00:53 UTC 2014

I strongly support no auto scaling. Heat looks after this and is a user facing activity since it needs to know what to do when a new VM is created and how to set it up.

A dynamic scheduling 'service' would work on an operator infrastructure layer performing VM relocation according to the service provider needs (balance between optimisation, thrashing, acceptable downtime). It should be performed within the SLA expectations of the VM.

The dynamic scheduling is 'OpenStack Tetris', trying to ensure a consistent packing policy of VMs on resources based on the policy for the service class.

Tim