[openstack-dev] [OSSG][OSSN] OpenSSL Heartbleed vulnerability can lead to OpenStack compromise

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Thu Apr 10 11:54:53 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-04-10 at 00:23 -0700, Nathan Kinder wrote:
> OpenSSL Heartbleed vulnerability can lead to OpenStack compromise
> ---
>
> ### Summary ###
> A vulnerability in OpenSSL can lead to leaking of confidential data
> protected by SSL/TLS in an OpenStack deployment.
>
> ### Affected Services / Software ###
> Grizzly, Havana, OpenSSL
>
> ### Discussion ###
> A vulnerability in OpenSSL code-named Heartbleed was recently discovered
> that allows remote attackers limited access to data in the memory of any
> service using OpenSSL to provide encryption for network communications.
> This can include key material used for SSL/TLS, which means that any
> confidential data that has been sent over SSL/TLS may be compromised.
> For full details, see the following website that describes this
> vulnerability in detail:
>
>     http://heartbleed.com/
>
> While OpenStack software itself is not directly affected, any deployment
> of OpenStack is very likely using OpenSSL to provide SSL/TLS
> functionality.
>
> ### Recommended Actions ###
> It is recommended that you immediately update OpenSSL software on the
> systems you use to run OpenStack services.

Not sure if you want to mention it in this OSSN or consider doing it
too, but clients are vulnerable to attack too.

>   In most cases, you will want
> to upgrade to OpenSSL version 1.0.1g, though it is recommended that you
> review the exact affected version details on the Heartbleed website
> referenced above.
>
> After upgrading your OpenSSL software, you will need to restart any
> services that use the OpenSSL libraries.  You can get a list of all
> processes that have the old version of OpenSSL loaded by running the
> following command:
>
>     lsof | grep ssl | grep DEL
>
> Any processes shown by the above command will need to be restarted, or
> you can choose to restart your entire system if desired.  In an
> OpenStack deployment, OpenSSL is commonly used to enable SSL/TLS
> protection for OpenStack API endpoints, SSL terminators, databases,
> message brokers, and Libvirt remote access.  In addition to the native
> OpenStack services, some commonly used software that may need to be
> restarted includes:
>
>   Apache HTTPD
>   Libvirt
>   MySQL
>   Nginx
>   PostgreSQL
>   Pound
>   Qpid
>   RabbitMQ
>   Stud
>
> It is also recommended that you treat your existing SSL/TLS keys as
> compromised and generate new keys.  This includes keys used to enable
> SSL/TLS protection for OpenStack API endpoints, databases, message
> brokers, and libvirt remote access.

Might be worth mentioning certificate revocation too.

> In addition, any confidential data such as credentials that have been
> sent over a SSL/TLS connection may have been compromised.  It is
> recommended that cloud administrators change any passwords, tokens, or
> other credentials that may have been communicated over SSL/TLS.
>
> ### Contacts / References ###
> This OSSN : https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/OSSN/OSSN-0012
> OpenStack Security ML : openstack-security at lists.openstack.org
> OpenStack Security Group : https://launchpad.net/~openstack-ossg
> Heartbleed Website: http://heartbleed.com/
> CVE: CVE-2014-0160

Very nicely done Nathan.

Not really relevant to the OSSN, but perhaps people will find it
interesting, I posted some thoughts on the wider fallout of heartbleed
this morning:

  http://blogs.gnome.org/markmc/2014/04/10/heartbleed/

Thanks,
Mark.