[openstack-dev] [TripleO] config options, defaults, oh my!

Alexis Lee alexisl at hp.com
Thu Apr 10 10:58:01 UTC 2014

Miller, Mark M (EB SW Cloud - R&D - Corvallis) said on Wed, Apr 09, 2014 at 10:30:26PM +0000:
> Does anyone have a flowchart of the cloud build/configure process
> including interactions between the various components/stages of
> TripleO and Heat?

Not to my (very limited) knowledge. If you read the following, you
should be off to a good start:
  * https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-incubator/blob/master/scripts/devtest_overcloud.sh
  * https://github.com/openstack/diskimage-builder/blob/master/README.md
  * https://github.com/openstack/diskimage-builder/blob/master/bin/disk-image-create
  * https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-image-elements/tree/master/elements/os-apply-config
  * https://github.com/openstack/os-refresh-config
  * https://github.com/openstack/os-apply-config
  * http://docs.openstack.org/developer/heat/template_guide/index.html

So essentially:
  * An image is built from elements using diskimage-create
  * `heat stack-create` kicks off the whole process, using inputs EG
    overcloud.yaml and testenv.json.
  * (try `heat resource-metadata overcloud NotCompute0Config`, iirc Heat
    has evaluated functions by this time)
  * Once the instance starts, os-collect-config runs periodically inside
    + downloads the Heat metadata into a JSON file
    (/var/lib/os-collect-config/cfn.json iirc)
  * After o-c-c, os-refresh-config runs. At level 50 of configure.d,
    os-apply-config happens. The JSON is used to evaluate Mustache
    templates.

Hope that helps!

Alexis
--
Nova Engineer, HP Cloud.  AKA lealexis, lxsli.