[openstack-dev] [TripleO] config options, defaults, oh my!

Alexis Lee alexisl at hp.com
Thu Apr 10 09:35:32 UTC 2014

Clint Byrum said on Wed, Apr 09, 2014 at 12:05:35PM -0700:
> Excerpts from Duncan Thomas's message of 2014-04-09 11:11:06 -0700:
> > I think this is dangerous thinking - the config you want depends so
> > hugely on your intended workload and available hardware that trying
> > any strong view of what an Openstack deployment should look like into
> > the deployment tool forever forces that deployment tool to be a minor,
> > niche product that *has* to be replaced by something more expressive
> > in order to be widely usable. The config you want for a primary hadoop
> > shop is totally different to what you'd want for primary web-host shop
> > is somewhat different to what you'd want for a public/generic cloud,
> > etc. Things like AZ support, neutron model, cinder back-end choice,
> > H/A model etc are dictated by scale and use-cases. If you only want
> > your config tool to deal with one deployment type, that tool becomes
> > pretty much irrelevant to the totality of the Openstack effort, and
> > should be replaced by something more layered/openminded.

+1 to Duncan. While I can understand the urge to get something simple
working first before tackling more complex usecases, it's pointless if
in doing so you make those usecases even tougher.

> I can certainly understand how one might mistake TripleO as "a
> deployment tool". It is no such thing. OpenStack is the deployment
> suite, with the tools being Nova, Glance, Neutron, Heat,
> diskimage-builder, os-*-config, etc. TripleO is a _program_, in the
> sense of an effort to gather collaborative forces, to deploy OpenStack
> using these tools.

Now you've described it, you're right, I'm not interested in TripleO or
TripleO milestones. I am interested in using os-*-config, Heat and
tripleo-image-elements to produce pure OpenStack deployments from 3 to
3000 nodes, for varying workloads.

To achieve this end I need tools which offer complete control of the
system configuration. I'm very happy to work with TripleO to enhance our
shared tools but if in pursuit of TripleO milestones those tools are
hobbled, it's a problem.

Alexis
--
Nova Engineer, HP Cloud.  AKA lealexis, lxsli.