[openstack-dev] [Ironic][Agent]

Devananda van der Veen devananda.vdv at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 23:19:20 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 3:04 AM, Vladimir Kozhukalov <
vkozhukalov at mirantis.com> wrote:

> Guys, thank you very much for your comments,
>
> I thought a lot about why we need to be so limited in IPA use cases. Now
> it much clearer for me. Indeed, having some kind of agent running inside
> host OS is not what many people want to see. And now I'd rather agree with
> that.
>
> But there are still some questions which are difficult to answer for me.
> 0) There are a plenty of old hardware which does not have IPMI/ILO at all.
> How Ironic is supposed to power them off and on? Ssh? But Ironic is not
> supposed to interact with host OS.

We can't manage everything... if there's no out-of-band power control,
ironic control the power.

>  1) We agreed that Ironic is that place where we can store hardware info
> ('extra' field in node model). But many modern hardware configurations
> support hot pluggable hard drives, CPUs, and even memory. How Ironic will
> know that hardware configuration is changed? Does it need to know about
> hardware changes at all? Is it supposed that some monitoring agent (NOT
> ironic agent) will be used for that?

while an instance is provisioned, ironic does not need to be made aware of
hardware changes.

It has not been written, but it would be fine for Ironic to re-inventory a
server any time it is deleted and before returning it to the pool. I think
it's unnecessary, but it could be possible, with a config option.

> But if we already have discovering extension in Ironic agent, then it
> sounds rational to use this extension for monitoring as well. Right?

real time monitoring? nope.

> 2) When I deal with some kind of hypervisor, I can always use 'virsh list
> --all' command in order to know which nodes are running and which aren't.
> How am I supposed to know which nodes are still alive in case of Ironic?
> IPMI? Again IPMI is not always available. And if IPMI is available, then
> why do we need heartbeat in Ironic agent?

Again, if there is no out-of-band power control, Ironic can't control the
power. Period.

As far as why is there a heartbeat in agent? Because some operations the
agent performs may take a long time, and so this allows ironic-conductor to
know the agent itself hasn't died (even if the node is still powered on).

Best,
Devananda