[openstack-dev] [Neutron][LBaaS]Clarification in regards to https://docs.google.com/a/mirantis.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ar1FuMFYRhgadDVXZ25NM2NfbGtLTkR0TDFNUWJQUWc#gid=1

Susanne Balle sleipnir012 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 21:54:05 UTC 2014

See inline, Susanne

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 4:49 PM, Jorge Miramontes <
jorge.miramontes at rackspace.com> wrote:

>   Answers inlined. Thanks for the questions! They forced me to think
> about certain features.
>
>  Cheers,
> --Jorge
>
>   From: Samuel Bercovici <SamuelB at Radware.com>
> Date: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 6:10 AM
> Subject: [openstack-dev] [Neutron][LBaaS]Clarification in regards to
> https://docs.google.com/a/mirantis.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ar1FuMFYRhgadDVXZ25NM2NfbGtLTkR0TDFNUWJQUWc#gid=1
>
>   Hi,
>

> I have looked at
> https://docs.google.com/a/mirantis.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ar1FuMFYRhgadDVXZ25NM2NfbGtLTkR0TDFNUWJQUWc#gid=1and have a few questions:
>
> 1.       Monitoring Tab:
>
> a.       Are there users that use load balancing who do not monitor
> members? Can you share the use cases where this makes sense?
>   This is a good question. In our case we supply static ip addresses so
> some users have only one backend node. With one node it isn't necessary.
> Another case I can think of is lbs that are being used for non-critical
> environments (i.e. dev or testing environment). For the most part it would
> make sense to have monitoring.
>
>  b.      Does it make sense to define the different type of monitors (ex:
> TCP, HTTP HTTPS)?
>   Yes it does. Http monitoring, for example, allows you to monitor
> specific URI's. I just put total utilization for all three to get some data
> out.
>
>  c.       Does any existing cloud service besides the current
> implementation of the LBaaS API supports using multiple monitors on the
> same pool? Is this a required feature?
>   I would think multiple monitors wouldn't make sense as they could
> potentially conflict. How would a decision be made in such a case?

2.       Logging Tab:

> a.       What is logging use for?
>   This is specifically connection logging. It allows the user to see all
> of the requests that went through the load balancer. It is mostly used for
> big data and troubleshooting.
>
>  b.      How does the tenant consume the logs?
>   For our offering, we send their logs in a compressed format to swift.
> However, I am open to discussion on how to handle this in a more flexible
> manner.

[Susanne] in our case logs are forwarded to a centralized logging system
e.g. Logstash/Elastic Search/Kibana/etc.

>     3.       SSL Tab:
>
> a.       Please explain if SSL means passing SSL traffic through the load
> balancer or using the load balancer to terminate certificates.
>   SSL termination. I updated the tab.
>
>  b.      Does it make sense to separate those (SSL termination and non
> HTTPS terminated traffic) as different rows?
>   Blue Box added a few extra rows. I identified lbs that terminate only
> secure traffic and lbs that allow both secure and insecure traffic.
>
>  c.       Can anyone explain the use cases for SSL_MIXED?
>   A lot of web sites have mixed content. The lb terminates the secure
> traffic. The insecure traffic passes through normally.
>
>  4.       HA Tab:
>
> a.       Is this a tenant facing option or is it the way the operator
> chose to implement the service
>   For us, this is operator implementation. However, since most lbs are
> considered mission critical almost all production users require HA. I could
> see this being a toggable feature from the tenant side if they wanted to
> use a lb for testing or something non mission critical.

[Susanne] Same for us. It is very important for use as service provider
 that the LB be resilient so the user doesn't have a choice. It is
resilient by default.

>     5.       Content Caching Tab:
>
> a.       Is this a load balancer feature or a CDN like feature.
>   This is a lb feature. However, depending on the amount of content you'd
> like to cache using a CDN may be overkill. Here is a link that may shed
> some light:
> http://www.rackspace.com/knowledge_center/article/content-caching-for-cloud-load-balancers
>
>  6.       L7
>
> a.       Does any cloud provider support L7 switching and L7 content
> modifications?
>   We currently do not.

[Susanne] we do not have that feature either.