[openstack-dev] [Cinder] Regarding manage_existing and unmanage

Duncan Thomas duncan.thomas at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 16:09:30 UTC 2014

On 9 April 2014 08:35, Deepak Shetty <dpkshetty at gmail.com> wrote:

> Alternatively, does this mean we need to make name_id a generic field (not a
> ID) and then use somethign like uuidutils.is_uuid_like() to determine if its
> UUID or non-UUID and then backend will accordinly map it ?

Definitely not, overloading fields is horrible. If we are going to do
a mapping, create a new, explicit field for it.

> Lastly,  I said "storage admin will lose track of it" bcos he would have
> named is "my_vol" and when he asks cidner to manage it using "my_cinder_vol"
> its not expected that u wud rename the volume's name on the backend :)
> I mean its good if we could implement manage_existing w/o renaming as then
> it would seem like less disruptive :)

I think this leads to a bad kind of thinking. Once you've given a
volume to cinder, the storage admin shouldn't be /trying/ to keep
track of it. It is a cinder volume now, and cinder can and should do
whatever it feels appropriate with that volume (rename it, migrate it
to a new backend, etc etc etc)