[openstack-dev] [Nova] Hosts within two Availability Zones : possible or not ?

Day, Phil philip.day at hp.com
Wed Apr 9 09:55:08 UTC 2014

I agree that  "hint" would be more consistent with weighting that filtering ("constraint" would be a better word for that) - but how does the user get feedback on whether the hint has been honoured or not ?

In the case of anti-affinity they would need to:
	- Create a VM
	- Check the host hash value is different
	- if they really care delete the VM and try again

... which is pretty much the same cycle they can do without the hint (the filter/weighter just gives it a better chance of working first time a small system)

I would guess that affinity is more likely to be a soft requirement that anti-affinity,  in that I can see some services just not meeting their HA goals without anti-affinity but I'm struggling to think of a use case why affinity is a must for the service.