[openstack-dev] [oslo] run tests using testr on Python 3

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Tue Apr 8 15:58:03 UTC 2014

On 04/08/2014 08:12 AM, victor stinner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Olso Incubator runs tests using testr on Python 2, but it uses nosetests on Python 3 to only run a subset of the test suite (modules and tests ported to Python 3). In my latest patch for Oslo Incubator (gettext), Ben Nemec wrote:
> "I think we could get around the nose issue by using a testr regex to filter the tests we run for py33 (like I did in py27 for running everything but rpc in parallel), but that's outside the scope of this change so +2."
>
> I tried to run Olso Incubator tests with testr on Python 3, but testr fails to load "openstack.common.eventlet_backdoor", because eventlet module is not installed (eventlet is not Python 3 compatible yet). If I understood correctly, testr first loads all modules and then filter the tests to run using the regex passed on the command line. If I'm correct, I don't see right now how to run Olso Incubator tests with testr on Python 3. But I don't know well the Testr tool, so I missed probably an option.
>
> I would like to use testr because many Olso Incubator tests use testscenarios (which doesn't work with nosetests).
>
> By the way, would it be possible to fix nosetests to use testscenarios?
>
> Victor

Mehdi actually reminded me why we aren't using testr already:
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-April/032202.html

It might still be possible to implement using the test discovery feature
of testr to remove the bad tests before testr even gets them (see
https://github.com/openstack/diskimage-builder/blob/master/diskimage_builder/tests/test_elements.py
), but I don't have much experience with that so I can't say for sure
whether it would work either.

Also, I believe Mehdi had a change proposed to address the problems
running testscenarios in nose.  I think the patch is still waiting for a
merge though:

https://code.launchpad.net/~sileht/testscenarios/testscenarios/+merge/211038

-Ben