[openstack-dev] [Nova] Hosts within two Availability Zones : possible or not ?

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 13:25:17 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-04-08 at 10:49 +0000, Day, Phil wrote:
> On a large cloud you’re protect against this to some extent if the
> number of servers is >> number of instances in the quota.
>
> However it does feel that there are a couple of things missing to
> really provide some better protection:
>
> -         A quota value on the maximum size of a server group
> -         A policy setting so that the ability to use service-groups
> can be controlled on a per project basis

Alternately, we could just have the affinity filters serve as weighting
filters instead of returning NoValidHosts.

That way, a request containing an affinity hint would cause the
scheduler to prefer placing the new VM near (or not-near) other
instances in the server group, but if no hosts exist that meet that
criteria, the filter simply finds a host with the most (or fewest, in
case of anti-affinity) instances that meet the affinity criteria.

Best,
-jay