[openstack-dev] [TripleO] config options, defaults, oh my!

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue Apr 8 10:20:07 UTC 2014

On 04/08/2014 06:03 AM, Day, Phil wrote:
> [...]

I think Phil is dead on. I'll also share the devstack experience here.
Until we provided the way for arbitrary pass through we were basically
getting a few patches every week that were "let me configure this
variable in the configs".... over and over again.

I 100% agree that the config parameter space is huge and out of control,
and I actively challenge when people add new config options in Nova,
however those are knobs that people are using. If you limit what's
allowed to be configured, you limit the use of the tool. Like the old
adage about the fact that everyone only uses 10% of the functionality of
MS Word (sadly they don't all use the same 10%).

There was a really good proposal on the table by Mark MC a few cycles
ago about annotating the config options in projects with things like
'debug', 'tuning', so that it would be clear what variables we expected
people to change, and what variables we assume only experts would
change. I think if there is desire to push on the config explosion, that
would be the right place to do it.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague