[openstack-dev] [Cinder] Regarding manage_existing and unmanage

Deepak Shetty dpkshetty at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 06:17:42 UTC 2014

Hi List,
    I had few Qs on the implementation of manage_existing and unmanage API
extns

1) For LVM case, it renames the lv.. isn't it better to use name_id (one
used during cinder migrate to keep id same for a diff backend name/id) to
map cinder name/id to backend name/id and thus avoid renaming the backend
storage. Renaming isn't good since it changes the original name of the
storage object and hence storage admin may lose track? The Storwize uses
UID and changes vdisk_name on the backend array which isn't good either. Is
renaming a must, if yes why ?

2) How about a force rename option can be provided ? if force = yes, use
rename otherwise name_id ?

3) Durign unmanage its good if we can revert the name back (in case it was
renamed as part of manage), so that we leave the storage object as it was
before it was managed by cinder ?