[openstack-dev] setting up cross-project unit test jobs for oslo libs

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Mon Apr 7 18:39:26 UTC 2014

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 1:43 PM, Brant Knudson <blk at acm.org> wrote:
> Doug -
>
> Are the projects going to be responsible for keeping this up to date, or is
> the oslo team going to take care of it?

Some of each. Adding the test jobs will be part of the work the
liaison from a project does when bringing an oslo library in. We'll
help where needed, especially by creating a check-list of the steps to
follow (I'm working on that list now).

> We could reject a change to add a
> new oslo library dependency if the test isn't there. If there was a process
> that you followed to generate the dependencies, maybe this could be
> automated.

I looked through the requirements lists by hand and created jobs for
any oslo libraries in use in any requirements file. We could automate
that, but as you say it could also be handled as part of the review
for requirements on a project.

> Also, do you want the projects to make sure that they have tests that use
> the libraries? For example, keystone doesn't have any tests calling into
> stevedore; it's used by the sample config generator. Some projects might
> also have fully mocked out the library calls.

The point is to make sure if any of the tests *do* call the library,
we don't break the tests by making a change in another repository. I
don't think we need to add tests just for the sake of having them. If
we know that keystone isn't using stevedore in its tests, we could
remove that job. To start, I erred on the side of adding a job for
every relationship I found.

Doug