[openstack-dev] [neutron] resources ID in configuration files

Emilien Macchi emilien.macchi at enovance.com
Mon Apr 7 17:46:16 UTC 2014

Hi folks,

I've been looking at how deploying Neutron Server (on Icehouse release)
and I can see we have now to provide the admin tenant ID in neutron.conf
to be able to send notifications to Nova about port updates [1] thru
Nova API.

Working on configuration management for a while, it's a tough task to
put ID in configuration files instead of resource names but still doable
at least.
I understand that Keystone API v3 now requires to use ID because of
domains, but we I would like to think at a smarter way in OpenStack
components (Neutron in my case) where we could get the resource ID (here
the admin tenant) using Keystone API and consume it directly in the code.

I sent a first patch [2] which unfortunately won't work when using
Keystone API v3, so I would like to discuss here about another approach.

Should we continue to that way and add a new parameter to specify which
domain (in case of Keystone v3 use)? Am I wrong in all way?

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1302814
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/85492/

Emilien Macchi