[openstack-dev] [Tripleo][Neutron] Tripleo & Neutron

marios@redhat.com mandreou at redhat.com
Mon Apr 7 08:18:26 UTC 2014

Hello Tripleo/Neutron:

I've recently found some cycles to look into Neutron. Mostly because
networking rocks, but also so we can perhaps better address Neutron
related issues/needs down the line. I thought it may be good to ask the
wider team if there are others that are also interested in
Neutron&Tripleo. We could form a loose focus group to discuss blueprints
and review each other's code/chase up with cores. My search may have
missed earlier discussions in openstack-dev[Tripleo][Neutron] and
Tripleo bluprints so my apologies if this has already been started
somewhere. If any of the above is of interest then:

*is the following list sane - does it make sense to pick these off or
are these 'nice to haves' but not of immediate concern? Even just
validating, prioritizing and recording concerns could be worthwhile for
example?
* are you interested in discussing any of the following further and
perhaps investigating and/or helping with blueprints where/if necessary?

Right now I have:

[Undercloud]:

1. Define a neutron node (tripleo-image-elements/disk-image-builder) and
make sure it deploys and scales ok (tripleo-heat-templates/tuskar). This
comes under by lifeless blueprint at
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/tripleo/+spec/tripleo-tuskar-deployment-scaling-topologies

2. HA the neutron node. For each neutron services/agents of interest
(neutron-dhcp-agent, neutron-l3-agent, neutron-lbaas-agent ... ) fix any
issues with running these in HA - perhaps there are none \o/? Useful
whether using a dedicated Neutron node or just for HA the
undercloud-control node

3. Does it play with Ironic OK? I know there were some issues with
Ironic and Neutron DHCP, though I think this has now been addressed.
Other known/unkown bugs/issues with Ironic/Neutron - the baremetal
driver will be deprecated at some point...

4. Subnetting. Right now the undercloud uses a single subnet. Does it
make sense to have multiple subnets here - one point I've heard is for
segregation of your undercloud nodes (i.e. <1 broadcast domain).

5. Security. Are we at least using Neutron as we should be in the
Undercloud, security-groups, firewall rules etc?

[Overcloud]:

1. Configuration. In the overcloud "it's just Neutron". So one concern
is which and how to expose neutron configuration options via Tuskar-UI.
We would pass these through the deployment heat-template for definition
of Neutron plugin-specific .conf files (like dnsmasq-neutron.conf) for
example or initial definition of tenant subnets and router(s) for access
to external networks.

2. 3. ???

thanks! marios