[openstack-dev] Quota Management

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 18:11:05 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-04-04 at 11:52 +0100, Julie Pichon wrote:
> On 03/04/14 23:20, Jay Pipes wrote:
> >>
> >> Perhaps a summit session on quota management would be in order?
> >
> > Done:
> >
> > http://summit.openstack.org/cfp/details/221
>
> Thank you for proposing the session, I'm hopeful having this in the new
> cross-project track will have a positive impact on the discussion. I'm
> under the impression that this comes back regularly as a session topic
> but keeps hitting barriers when it comes to actual implementation
> (perhaps because important stakeholders were missing from the session
> before).

Yes, agreed. Although I missed the HK summit, I remember previous
summits that had similar discussions around quota management and
resource reservations.

> I'd like to bring up the cross-project discussion from last time this
> was discussed in December [1] as a reference, since the same
> questions/objections will likely come back again.

Ah, thx for the link, very helpful indeed.

>  One of the main issues
> was that this shouldn't live in Keystone, which could be resolved by
> using Boson, but the rest shows a reluctance from the projects to
> delegate quota management, and uncertainty around the use cases. Oslo
> was also mentioned as a possible place to help with improving the
> consistency.

Yeah, so my idea for this was to expand the current driver-based quota
system in Nova to contain an externally-managed driver (Boson). That
way, quota management would operate identically to network and volume
components, with a local option and an external option, depending on the
selection of the driver (which would of course remain
nova.quota.DbQuotaDriver by default). That way we can innovate on the
Boson front with no impact on Nova. We'd do something identical in
Cinder and Neutron, of course, and gradually (2, 3 cycles?) move the
default driver from the DbQuotaDriver to BosonDriver... this seems like
an easy way to make progress with little risk.

> I'd love a more consistent way to handle and manage quotas across
> multiple projects as this would help Horizon too, for very similar
> reasons than are mentioned here.

++

Best,
-jay