[openstack-dev] [ceilometer][glance][heat][neutron][nova] Quick fix for "upstream-translation-update Jenkins job failing" (bug 1299349)

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Fri Apr 4 18:23:54 UTC 2014

On 04/04/2014 05:57 PM, Dolph Mathews wrote:
> tl;dr:
>
>   $ python clean_po.py PROJECT/locale/
>   $ git commit
>
> The comments on bug 1299349 are already quite long, so apparently this
> got lost. To save everyone some time, the fix is as easy as above. So
> what's clean_po.py?
>
> Devananda van der Veen (devananda) posted a handy script to fix the
> issue in a related bug [1], to which I added a bit more automation [2]
> because I'm lazy and stuck it into a gist [3]. Grab a copy, and run it
> on milestone-proposed (or wherever necessary). It'll delete a bunch of
> lines from *.po files, and you can commit the result as Closes-Bug.
>
> Thanks, Devananda!
>
> [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ironic/+bug/1298645/comments/2
> [2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/keystone/+bug/1299349/comments/25
> [3] https://gist.github.com/dolph/9915293

thanks, Dolph.

I've been working on a check for this (with Clark Boylan's help) so that
this kind of duplicates cannot get merged in again. During the review, I
came upon quite a few situations that I did not anticipate before.

The IRC discussion we had let me create a patch that enhances the pep8
pipeline - instead of creating a new separate job - since pep8 already
contains some smaller patches and we don't need to start another VM.

Looking at the reviews, I've improved the patch so that it should work
now on Mac OS X (David Stanek updated 84211 so that it works there).

The patch now runs msgfmt and we thus need to require it. It's available
in our CI infrastructure but not available on some users machines In
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/85123/3/tox.ini it was suggested to
document in nova's doc/source/devref the requirement on msgfmt now.

The patch adds the following command to tox.ini (plus some tox sugar):
bash -c "find nova -type f -regex '.*\.pot?' -print0| \
 xargs -0 -n 1 msgfmt --check-format -o /dev/null"

This really needs to use "bash -c", otherwise tox will not execute it.

There was a concern by Sean Dague about using a pipeline (see
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/83961/3/tox.ini). Sean, do you have a
pointer on how you like to see this done?

Could I get some advise on how to move this forward in the same way for
all projects, please? Also, testing on OS X is appreciated.

Basically my questions are:
* Should we run this as part of pep8 or is there a better place?
* Is there a better way to implement the above command?

I'll try to implement a solution if nobody beats me to it ;)

thanks,
Andreas

Patches:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/85123/