[openstack-dev] [Neutron] minimal scope covered by third-party testing

Armando M. armamig at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 15:35:46 UTC 2014

Hi Simon,

You are absolutely right in your train of thoughts: unless the
third-party CI monitors and vets all the potential changes it cares
about there's always a chance something might break. This is why I
think it's important that each Neutron third party CI should not only
test Neutron changes, but also Nova's, DevStack's and Tempest's.
Filters may be added to test only the relevant subtrees.

For instance, the VMware CI runs the full suite of tempest smoke
tests, as they come from upstream and it vets all the changes that go
in Tempest made to API and scenario tests as well as configuration
changes. As for Nova, we test changes to the vif parts, and for
DevStack, we validate changes made to lib/neutron*.

Vetting all the changes coming in VS only the ones that can
potentially break third-party support is a balancing act when you
don't have infinite resources at your disposal, or you're just ramping
up the CI infrastructure.

Cheers,
Armando