[openstack-dev] [Devstack] add support for ceph

Chmouel Boudjnah chmouel at enovance.com
Fri Apr 4 09:25:38 UTC 2014

Hello,

We had quite a lengthy discussion on this review :

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/65113/

about a patch that seb has sent to add ceph support to devstack.

The main issues seems to resolve around the fact that in devstack we
support only packages that are in the distros and not having to add
external apt sources for that.

In devstack we are moving as well toward a nice and solid plugin system
where people can hook externally and not needing to submit patch to add
a feature that change the 'core' of devstack.

I think the best way to go forward with this would be to :

* Split the patch mentioned above to get the generic things bit in
their own patch. i.e the storage file :

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/65113/19/lib/storage

and the create_disk (which would need to be used by lib/swift as well) :

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/65113/19/functions

* Get the existing drivers converted to that new storage format.

* Adding new hooks to the plugin system to be able to do what we want
for this:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/65113/19/lib/cinder

and for injecting things in libvirt :

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/65113/19/lib/nova

Hopefully to have folks using devstack and ceph would just need to be :

$ git clone devstack
$ curl -O lib/storages/ceph http://..../ceph_devstack
(and maybe an another file for extras.d)

am I missing a step ?

Cheers,
Chmouel.