[openstack-dev] [cinder] the ability about list the available volume back-ends and their capabilities

Mike Perez thingee at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 17:51:14 UTC 2014

On 06:11 Thu 03 Apr     , Zhangleiqiang (Trump) wrote:
> Hi stackers:
>
>     I think the ability about list the available volume back-ends, along with their capabilities, total capacity, available capacity is useful for admin. For example, this can help admin to select a destination for volume migration.
> But I can't find the cinder api about this ability.
>
>     I find a BP about this ability:  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/cinder/+spec/list-backends-and-capabilities
> But the BP is not approved. Who can tell me the reason?

Hi Zhangleiqiang,

I think it's not approved because it has not been set to a series goal by the
drafter. I don't have permission myself to change the series goal, but I would
recommend going into the #openstack-cinder IRC channel and ask for the BP to be
set for the Juno release assuming there is a good approach. We'd also need
a contributor to take on this task.

I think it would be good to use the os-hosts extension which can be found in
cinder.api.contrib.hosts and add the additional response information there. It
already lists total volume/snapshot count and capacity used [1].

[1] - http://paste.openstack.org/show/74996

--
Mike Perez