[openstack-dev] [Nova] Hosts within two Availability Zones : possible or not ?

Steve Gordon sgordon at redhat.com
Thu Apr 3 15:58:37 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently trying to reproduce [1]. This bug requires to have the same
> host on two different aggregates, each one having an AZ.
>
> IIRC, Nova API prevents hosts of being part of two distinct AZs [2], so
> IMHO this request should not be possible.
> That said, there are two flaws where I can identify that no validation is
> done :
>  - when specifying an AZ in nova.conf, the host is overriding the existing
> AZ by its own
>  - when adding an host to an aggregate without AZ defined, and afterwards
> update the aggregate to add an AZ
>

> So, I need direction. Either we consider it is not possible to share 2 AZs
> for the same host and then we need to fix the two above scenarios, or we
> say it's nice to have 2 AZs for the same host and then we both remove the
> validation check in the API and we fix the output issue reported in the
> original bug [1].

Current operator and ultimately user expectations as a result of the validation on aggregate creation are that a host can only be in one AZ, based on that I'd expect to see the gaps identified in those scenarios filled rather than allowing a host to be in multiple AZs. Nice work identifying them though!

Thanks,

Steve