[openstack-dev] [Heat] Some thoughts on the mapping section

Thomas Spatzier thomas.spatzier at de.ibm.com
Thu Apr 3 15:41:54 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Thomas Herve's message on 03/04/2014 09:21:05:
> From: Thomas Herve <thomas.herve at enovance.com>
> Date: 03/04/2014 09:21
> Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [Heat] Some thoughts on the mapping section

<snip>

> > Speaking of offering options for selection, there is another proposal
on
> > adding conditional creation of resources [3], whose use case to enable
> > or disable a resource creation (among others).  My perception is that
> > these are all relevant enhancements to the reusability of HOT
templates,
> > though I don't think we really need very sophisticated combinatory
> > conditionals.
>
> I think that's interesting that you mentioned that, because Zane
> talked about a "variables" section, which would encompass what
> "conditions" and "mappings" mean. That's why we're discussing
> extensively about those design points, to see where we can be a bit
> more generic to handle more use cases.

+1 on bringing those suggestions together. It seems to me like there is
quite some overlap of what "mappings" and "variables" shall solve, so it
would be nice to have one solution for it. As you mentioned earlier, the
objection against "mappings" was not that CFN had it and we didn't want to
have it, but because the use case did not sell well. If there are things
that make sense, no objection, but maybe we can do it smarter in HOT ;-)

Regards,
Thomas