[openstack-dev] [Nova] Hosts within two Availability Zones : possible or not ?

Khanh-Toan Tran khanh-toan.tran at cloudwatt.com
Thu Apr 3 14:53:04 UTC 2014

+1 for AZs not sharing hosts.

Because it’s the only mechanism that allows us to segment the datacenter.
Otherwise we cannot provide redundancy to client except using Region which
is dedicated infrastructure and networked separated and anti-affinity
filter which IMO is not pragmatic as it has tendency of abusive usage.
Why sacrificing this power so that users can select the types of his
desired physical hosts ? The latter can be exposed using flavor metadata,
which is a lot safer and more controllable than using AZs. If someone
insists that we really need to let users choose the types of physical
hosts, then I suggest creating a new hint, and use aggregates with it.
Don’t sacrifice AZ exclusivity!

Btw, there is a datacenter design called “dual-room” [1] which I think
best fit for AZs to make your cloud redundant even with one datacenter.

Best regards,

Toan

[1] IBM and Cisco: Together for a World Class Data Center, Page 141.
http://books.google.fr/books?id=DHjJAgAAQBAJ
<http://books.google.fr/books?id=DHjJAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA141#v=onepage&q&f=false